4. Books of 2014 pt.2


from weheartit

So here's the second part of my short reviews of the books I've already read in 2014. I'm planning on reviewing books as I go but I wanted to post a catch up series first.


The Dark - Linda Cargill
This is another Point Horror novel and if I'm honest, I cannot remember what happened in this book. That doesn't really say much does it? I'm thinking there was a murder and her not remembering what happened but it can't have been a rivetting read can it?
Tags: horror, young adult

Flow: The Cultural Story of Menstruation - Elissa Stein
So I said I read some books that I never would have considered reading and this is definitely one of them! It was actually a really interesting read, covering pretty much everything to do with menstruation. There are chapters on the changing opinion of menstruating through the ages, as well as feminine hygiene products, birth control and everything in between. Despite the subject matter, it was an interesting, eye opening and even humourous read. The tone is reasonably light-hearted which isn't always appropriate but it's not a heavy read (I'm sorry...) so it's understandable.
Tags: non-fiction,

Everything I Never Told You - Celeste Ng
This is the story of a mixed-race family living in a small town in Ohio in the 1970s. From that situation, you can pretty much tell there's going to be difficulties for this family. Their middle daughter Lydia goes missing and ultimately turns up dead but we don't know the circumstances - and that's the big mystery, as everything seemed to be going so well for her. While trying to find out exactly what happened to their daughter, the lives of the family begin to fall apart. I really enjoyed this book and read it super quickly, even for me. I was drawn into the lives of this family and a little bit moved by their situation.
Tags: mystery

Hollow City: The 2nd novel of Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs
I loved the first Miss Peregrine book - especially the vintage photos which were used to add to and enhance the story. This sequel sees the kids leaving their island home, and thus safety, and travelling to London. I really don't want to talk to much about this book, or the first one, as I don't want to risk spoiling anything. Needless to say I enjoyed them both. It's kind of got the whole X-Men thing going on with these kids having special and unique powers which other bad guys are trying to harness and steal...or something like that! I definitely recommend them! 
Tags: young adult, fantasy

The Vanishing Season - Jodi Lynn Anderson
Now I'm writing this, I realise how many young adult books I've read so far this year! Oops! They're just so easy to get through! This tells the story of a small county where girls start mysteriously disappearing, but this book is definitely not a horror. It's more about friendship and the relationships between the characters, as there's no real dramatic final scene where everything comes out in the wash. It's a very slow burning story but is definitely worth the read.
Tags: young adult, mystery

The Book of Negroes - Lawrence Hill
This is a historical fiction novel which deals with slavery and a woman being taken from her home in Africa to America. As she sits back and looks over her life, Aminata discusses her story from 1802 where she works with slavery abolishionists in London. As a young girl, she was taken from her village, her parents were murdered and she was marched across Africa and onto a slave ship. The whole story is amazing - Aminata stuggles through some insane hardships which I wish I could believe were entirely a work of fiction, but there's also happiness for her too. Despite it's fictional status, this book was very powerful and moving and incredibly absorbing - I sometimes forgot it was actually fiction and not a memoir. It's beautiful and one of my favourite books I've read in a while. 
Tags: historical fiction

Z for Zachariah - Robert C O'Brien
I needed something a bit lighter after The Book of Negroes and this was not quite as light as I expected. Don't get me wrong, I love a good dystopian novel and this wasn't disappointing. After a nuclear holocaust, 16 year old Ann is left living on her own, sustaining herself in a remote valley, untouched by fallout. As far as she is aware, she could be the only person still alive. That is, until she sees campfire smoke in the valley and realises her peace is about to be shattered. Ann has to decide if this man is trustworthy and they'll be able to life together or not. I love apocalyptic novels and find them so interesting but I always have a bit of a knot in my stomach waiting for what's going to go wrong or happen, which I guess is why I enjoy them so much! I'd like to think I'd be able to survive in Ann's situation but I highly doubt it! 
Tags: dystopian, young adult

Hopefully you're enjoying these quick review updates before I settle in to my frequent and regular book reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment