11. Top 8 - Katie Finn



Sometimes I have really bad issues with my sleep and when I'm in that position, I often find myself turning to trashy young adult books to help numb my mind. And this is one of those books. I think it only took me about 2hrs to read it so it's nothing spectacular or anything that's going to end up with a Booker Prize but I'll discuss it anyway.

Basically after Myspace and Facebook comes Friendverse, which pretty much just sounds like myspace as you have a top 8, blog and post bulletins. Anyway, 16 year old girl goes on holiday where there's no internet and comes home to find her profile has been hacked, she's posted awful things and secrets about her friends and broken up with her boyfriend - although obviously it wasn't her, so who was it?

Naturally the jist (gist?) of the story is now this girl trying to find out who hacked her profile and why. She goes through the obvious options before accusing unlikely people and eventually finding out it was her best friend and the local computer geek - sorry for spoilers but really, it's never the girl that "hates" her, it's always the best friend who's pissed off about something they've been harbouring anger about for years. I've read enough Point Horrors to know the murderer is never the creepy guy with the hook for a hand. but always the best friend.

Additionally it wouldn't be a teen novel without some romance and this comes in the form of a guy met on holiday, who happens to live one town over and shows up for dinner. The original boyfriend, who said hacking friend was in love with and hence the motive for aforementioned hacking, tries to win her back after seeing the error of his ways but the girl is obviously in love with new guy now. Although at the end of the book, he shows her photos he took of her on holiday. Like a whole envelope of them - can you say Edward Cullen?? I'd flip if some guy I didn't really know did that to me!

All in all, I like a bit of trashy teen and young adult goodness but this was so. so. so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment