22. I Didn't Come Here to Make Friends - Courtney Robertson


So, I'll start by putting it out there that I'm not a huge watcher of reality tv, aside from my couple of guilty pleasures (looking at you RuPaul and Spencer Matthews). I've seen a few episodes of the Bachelor, as I think I watched it when it first came out over here but aside from that, I know *of* it and the concept and nothing more.

If you don't know, basically 20-odd girls go on a series of group and individual dates with a guy who whittles them down by giving them roses until in the finale, he ultimately proposes to one of them. And that is the reason I downloaded this book. They don't get much time together or really know each other but these girls agree to marry a guy and he's ok with proposing. So why would you get into that situation?

Courtney was a model and had an ok life and didn't seem like she was short of a boyfriend or would find it hard to get one. So why did she feel the need to go on a show like this? Basically she was heartbroken and thought "why not?". In this book, she details her behind the scenes experience where the girls were total bitches to her it seems but on TV she was portrayed as the villain.

She ended "winning" but the relationship was doomed from the start. She was kept apart from her fiance for months as the show hadn't aired and they could only have secret meetings. All in all, he turned out to be a dick and they broke up.

If you're interested in reality tv and why people get into it, or if you're a fan of the bachelor and want some behind the scenes then this is a good book for you. It's not life changing or well written but I enjoyed it for a quick break from horror. I found Courtney to be really likable and relatable and her story was interesting. It's amazing what people will do to try to find love.

No comments:

Post a Comment