24. Bitter is the New Black - Jen Lancaster


I dont even want to write about this book really. It was absolutely awful. I hated it. Well no, I didn't hate the book but I really really disliked the author. It's a riches to rags story of a woman who loses her job in New York thanks to the economic crisis and finds it hard to get another one- so much so she's unemployed for about 2 years and this is the story of that time.

To be blunt, Lancaster comes off as a bitch but that's obviously why she's good at her job, in a Devil Wears Prada sort of way. But she's just not at all likable. She practically makes her boyfriend marry her in order to get money to help them keep living in their amazing penthouse apartment. She volunteers at a dog shelter and ends up keeping two which is nice but if they can't support themselves, this seems stupid to me.

She writes about how she recieved poor treatment when signing on for unemployment and puts it down to the fact she carried a Prada bag but I can't help but get the impression her overall holier than  thou attitude wouldn't have helped.

I just...don't know what to say. I've never disliked a character in a book so much. I can't stop you reading it but don't say I didn't warn you.

No comments:

Post a Comment