34. Here We Are Now: The Lasting Impact of Kurt Cobain - Charles R. Cross


Kurt Cobain is one of those people I've had on my radar for years. I discovered Nirvana as a teenager and became interested in him and his story from there, like most people of that age I think. It's hard not to here Smells Like Teen Spirit as a 12 year old and have it spark some sort of interest.

Here We Are Now doesn't deal with Kurt's story but it does deal with the lasting impact he and his band have had on the world, something I find incredibly fascinating. It's not just the music that was left behind but many things, including fashion (plaid shirts and converse shoes) to the whole invention of grunge music and style.

This isn't the most fascinating read if you're looking for trivia and tidbits about the band, but if you are interested in their enduring legacy then this is definitely a good read. It's short and more of a dissertation than a novel but still has some worthy points.

I'm not sure if it's my kindle edition but there were no pictures or images within the book but it would have be nice to have visual references for what is being discussed, whether it be outfits worn by Kurt, or iconic photos of him and Courtney.

I'm now reading Heavier than Heaven, written by the same author. It's the actual story and biography of Kurt and is a much more interesting read but for Nirvana and Kurt fans, I definitely think Here We Are Now is a valid read.

No comments:

Post a Comment