40. Let's Catch Up - Short Reviews of what I've been Reading



I've been super busy with life and university so here's some short reviews of the books I've been reading, just to catch you up and so my blog is not completely neglected. 

Smoke Gets in Your Eyes - Caitlan Doughty

So I might have read another book about morticians - what can I say, it’s a subject that fascinates me! This book is by a female, rather than the male perspective that came from the last one. Like me, Caitlan had a morbid curiosity for death and what happens when we die and that’s how she ended up in her chosen profession. This is similar to the last book, in that we get a behind the scenes look at the funeral industry, but I found the narrater to be much more likeable and at ease discussing her profession. Obviously this is still a heavy subject and there are sad or moving moments but it’s largely told with a lightness and humour that makes it a much easier and interesting read. I highly recommend this book over the last book I read about the funeral industry.  


Terminally Beautiful - Christy Leigh Stewart

This book felt weirdly short, like it was just getting off the ground when it ended, but I loved the idea and premise that it brought up and that’s what left me wanting more. According to the author, Diana is ugly, uninteresting and not very smart and that’s how she ends up in rehab for ugly girls. It all starts when a hot guy comes into her work and invites her to a party. Obviously she wonders why but nervously accepts, until she gets there and discovers the boys are in competition as to who can bring the ugliest girl and it’s after this that she ends up in rehab. In the hospital, the girls are transformed through therapy and plastic surgery to make them more palatable on the eye. As the story is told in the first person, we know Diana’s thoughts and I definitely found myself relating to her on some level. It’s always slightly unnerving when a book that has a clearly dystopian, slightly science-fictional setting is relatable but that’s what this book was. There is an interesting ending too which I won’t spoil but this short read is definitely worth a look, mainly because I’d be interested in your opinions. 


 White Bird in a Blizzard - Laura Kasischke


Being honest, I had to google this to find out what happened and remind myself what this book was. I just couldn’t remember - not a good start. We find that 16 year old Kat’s mother has disappeared and the book follows her and her father as they go through the motions of putting their lives back together. I can’t even spoil the ending because I do NOT remember it. Genuinely. That says a lot about this novel. 

Filth - Irvine Welsh

Oh how I love this man! I remember buying Trainspotting and my dad telling me I'd struggle with it but I devoured it and fell in love. I read this because I want to watch the film but in the sense of "bros before hoes" I have to go with prose before...films...yeh, shut up. Anyway, unsurprisingly I adored this novel and read it in 24hrs. The main character was delightfully unlikeable and deliciously terrible. I loved the way the worm began to take over the prose and "devour" the book as it was his body - such a great idea. I love reading books were I know the locations and can get lost in it because I recognise places and can visualise exactly what's going on. The twist at the end was great as well, but I also liked how characters cross over and we get mentions of Sick Boy and Begbie. I won't gush, but I'm definitely in the mood for more or Mr Welsh.

No comments:

Post a Comment