52. Burnt Toast Makes You Sing Good - Kathleen Flinn



This is a book that I clearly downloaded as it seemed like a cheery wee memoir of someone I had no idea who they were but I genuinely had no idea what it would be about. I kept reading it waiting for the point to march over the next paragraph but it never arrived. 

It tells the story from the author’s Grandparents I think, moving across the country, starting a pizza place before pizza was popular and then moving all the way back. The entire book seems to revolve around food…there’s recipes included for her family meals and every story seems to involve it - from when they’re poor and scraping meals together and are given a special meal on their birthday in lieu of presents, to going hunting and scavenging for their own food. 

It seems to be a popular book with great reviews but I can’t help but wonder why I’m supposed to be bothered about this person’s life? Yes it’s amusing and interesting to hear about how this family coped and endured through various degrees of poverty but there’s no real…point to this book? That’s just my opinion, maybe I’m missing something. 


I’m not saying it’s not a good book, it definitely kept me turning the page (as it were) and I did find the stories interesting. I just feel like I missed the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment