2. Book v Kindle

from google search - unknown owner.

 As this is a blog all about my love of books and reading, I think it’s important to address the Kindle (or other e-reader) versus traditional book debate. It’s something I have thought about before and have made my ultimate decision on, but I want to discuss the argument here so you know where I stand. 

I have a Kindle and have done since about 2011 – so about 4 years now. I got it for my birthday the summer before I moved to Aberdeen for university. I thought it would be a good idea as I was potentially living in halls and thus lacking space, as well as travelling up and down to Edinburgh. All these years later – I honestly can’t live without it! 

The main argument against Kindle seems to be “oh but I love the feeling of a book in my hands!” and I get it but also, no I don’t. Having a book is a lovely feeling, as is the smell, but I can live without it. I much prefer lying comfortably in bed, with my lightweight, easy to hold Kindle. Books can be a bit cumbersome, especially if they are heavy – like that time I attempted to read Les Mis and my bag weighed a tonne and my wrists hurt! 

My original concern was the cost of books and their availability but I’m now over this! I think books have come down in price, however a brand new e-book costs about the same as a “real” one. Amazon has a huge selection nowadays, although it may still be difficult to find some older titles, there are more being released every day. There ARE ways around this – now I’m not in any way advocating any dodgy activities but there are ways to find free books on the internet. 

I have loads of books on my Kindle now – probably more than it would be sensible to store in my bedroom or in my handbag. I can sort them into categories, so it’s like my own portable library. If I finish one book, the next is on hand and I can get started straight away without having to go to the library or book shop. I love the ability to do this, but it does mean I end up occasionally reading a whole series in nearly one sitting (ahem, hunger games and divergent series I’m looking at you!).
I also find I read a lot faster with my Kindle than I ever did books. I don’t have any idea why this is but it’s true. I read so much more these days than I did BK (Before Kindle!) and I love that fact! Why would I want to slow down? I feel like I’m learning much more, as well as discovering new books I never would have picked up otherwise. 

someecards from pinterest


One great thing that remains despite the popularity of the Kindle is that people do still have books. Even if someone has an e-reader, I think it’s unusual to see someone without a single book in their home. They’re not going away just because some people prefer reading on an electronic device. These days, I think it’s highly unlikely for people to have a classic library in their homes and this is especially unlikely for me – a student with a wee bedroom in my flat!

Even universities are on board with the whole electronic book thing. I’ve written essays in my pjs thanks to the fact I can access textbooks and other resources online. This also means that if someone has taken the physical book from the library, its likely I can still access the text online which is amazingly good. 
 

As far as I’m concerned, my Kindle is a huge part of my life and I cannot imagine getting rid of it now. In fact it broke and I felt totally lost – I’d probably rather lose my iPhone!
In short – what does it matter? I love my Kindle but if you don’t, that’s up to you! There’s no big deal. 

But please do let me know your opinion! 

For future reference – I will be reading all books on my Kindle Keyboard which has a slightly battered pink leather case with built in light and will probably need replaced soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment