30. Bird Box - Josh Malerman


I'm gonna say right off the bat that this is one of those books I do not like. Ok, it's not that I don't enjoy it or like it but I just...it's so frustrating because you don't know what's going on and while I love using my imagination and that makes it all the more scary, I like to know!

Marjorie finds out that she's expecting a child as reports of people killing themselves and others start of surface on the news. It started in Russia, but it soon moves to American soil and very close to home. People are seeing something and whatever they're seeing drives them to insanity and murder. Obviously, this means noone sees this creature and survives, so noone knows what they're fighting. People start to barricade their doors and windows and only go outside wearing blindfolds.

The story flashes between Marjorie's live then and now. Now, she's living in a house with her two children; children she's trained to wake up with their eyes closed and listen and identify the slightest sound. This is the house she came to for safety and was full of people who took her in and cared for her during her pregnancy.

I'm finding it difficult to talk about this book, mainly because I want to avoid spoilers, but also because there's not much to spoil. Like I said, like the characters in this book, we don't know who or what is causing people to go insane and become murderous. Not all that much happens in this book but that's part of the beauty of it. It's not a completely unique idea but it's well executed and well written.

How long do you think you could go without looking outside? Even if looking meant risking the lives of those around you, as well as your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment