31. Curtains - Tom Jokinen


This book was not at all what I expected or wanted it to be. When I studied art, I did a project with a focus on anatomy and death, something which fascinates me. In the process I discovered and fell in love with what remains one of my favourite books, by my favourite authors - Stiff by Mary Roach. If you haven't read it, do so. Since then I've had an interest in all things related to death, what happens to us, both physically and spiritually.

I hoped this book would give me insight into what goes on "behind the scenes" at an undertakers - the process of dealing with and embalming bodies, sprinkled with some interesting and humorous stories about things going wrong or unique stories. Additionally, like Roach, I kind of expected stories or anecdotes about the varying ways people like to be remembered or "dealt with" after their death.

Alas, my needs were not met. This tells the story of Tom, who for some reason gives up his job at a radio station (I think) in order to train as an undertaker. I don't remember him explaining why. Naturally, when we first meet him and he begins collecting bodies, he's not comfortable around them. He discusses enbalming and making up corpses but not in a way I felt gave me any real knowledge of the process in a way a book specifically about undertaking should.

The gist of this book seemed to be a memoir all about the various funeral homes in the Winnipeg area in which Jokinen resides. There's much discussion about competing companies, those who will claim to do the job for pennies, or who will claim to the charge ridiculous prices. Ultimately that's what bored me about this book. Jokinen discusses attending funerals but then nothing of note happens that make it worth talking about. Many of the funerals are sparsely attended which he does contrast with a discussion of Jewish funerals and how the entire community comes together to support the family.

For a subject I am completely fascinated by and keen to learn about, I was left entirely underwhelmed by this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment