43. Yes Please - Amy Poehler




I’ve been vaguely familiar with the work of Amy for a while now but haven't really actively looked into who she is or what she does. The reason I downloaded this was because it got good reviews and I like amusing memoirs, even if I’m not totally 100% clued up on their lives work. 

I found it interesting that Amy doesn’t really dwell on her childhood, but focuses on her uni years and getting into the improv that made her famous. She’s open and honest, about her marriage and divorce, her kids, her drug use and how difficult she found it to write the book in my hands. But at the same time, she doesn’t really talk about any of it.  There’s no detail on her divorce or marriage, just some amusing comments and jokes to go along side it rather than discussing it. Some say the lack of background and focus on anecdotes made them feel like they didn’t get to know Amy, but I didn’t know her in the first place, so it didn’t bother me as much. It wasn’t as funny as I’d imagined but it had amusing stories and points but it wasn’t FUNNY. 


If you are a fan of Amy maybe you’d like it more. I’m torn because I didn’t dislike it, it just wasn’t that amazing for me. The woman has every right not to discuss things she doesn’t want to discuss but then why write a book like this? It’s categorised as a memoir so why is it not a memoir as such? 

No comments:

Post a Comment