49. Love and Other Unknown Variables



I had to google this to remind me what this book was about. Not a good sign! 
I do remember reading it and it was one of those short and kind-of-sweet reads that I did in one sitting when I couldn’t sleep one night. 

Charlie is a typical geeky boy who goes to a smart persons school and has nothing but his sights set on attending MIT. Until, guess what? A GIRL shows up! The opening scene sees him touching the tattoo one the back of her neck in a donut shop….which is something which annoyed me (and the girl in the book) and it just seems so creepy. 

Anyway, of course it turns out that he sees her around and she becomes friends with his sister but the course of love never runs smooth. What I didn’t enjoy was that it’s just BAM she has cancer and is going to die and then this changes the whole course of the book. One minute they’re playing harmless pranks and kissing but then it all goes a bit Fault in our Stars and everything is about what they can do before she passes away. Well that’s how I felt. 

I liked Charlie as a character, he was relatable and cute but I wasn’t convinced by the romance and like I said, it’s all a bit like a poor-man’s Fault in Our Stars. And while I didn’t love that book, it at least had the emotion to make me cry. 

There is a range of relationships explored throughout the book and that does give it a different dimension but I’m still not sure. The relationship with her elderly neighbour was really sweet, as was the adaption and growth of his relationship with his sister as they grow closer and discover they need each other. 


Overall, yeh, it’s not bad but it’s not the next amazing YA novel either.

No comments:

Post a Comment